The company was established in 1927 by John Rittenhouse, a popular furniture maker who moved from his home town of Genesee Valley, New York to Cheboygan, Michigan. He began the company at the age of 48 and continued to manufacture distinctive furniture until 1954 when the company was sold to Don Deinzer who kept producing the line until 1963.
John used a blue foil label affixed to the underside of pieces (often missing today). The label changed to brown under Deinzer.
Today, Rittenhouse furniture is commonly found in American cabins that have been converted into museums, hotels or public houses. As a result, it is extremely rare that they appear at either national or international auction houses.